Tappin Family Website Copyright © David Tappin (unless otherwise stated)
Family Member's Interests
                                                        Kath - Postcards from the Past Grimsby - Part 2
Here are my postcards of Grimsby, Lincolnshire covering the Roads and Streets etc with some comments about the scenes. Some images were in use over many years so dating the scene can be difficult.

Click on the link for a larger image (Alphabetical listing).
Grimsby Old Market Place 1920s
Grimsby Old Market Place 1920s
 





A used postcard dated 11 Jul 1905

This show "Spectacle Row" named because of the
shape of the attic windows.
 





An unused postcard probably from around the early
1900s

Traffic somewhat less than today.
 





A used postcard dated 17 Sep 1907
 





A used postcard dated 3 Jul 1909

Showing Deansgate Bridge over the railway with St
James Church in the backgroiund
 





A used postcard dated 10 Dec 1909.

This may be the same direction towards the town
centre as the card above.
 





A used postcard dated 13 Apr 1912

There appears to be open ground beyond the
hedges so the road may be going out of town. 
 

New May 2016



An unused postcard possibly dating from the
1940s but could be earlier.
 





An unused modern postcard produced by the
former South Humberside Libraries using an image
dating from 1860
 




An unused modern postcard using a reproduced
image which probably dates from the 1950s.

The picture shows a Daimler bus of the old
Grimsby & Cleethorpes Transport.
 



A used postcard dated 3 Aug 1906

The building on the right is the Royal Hotel, another
building sadly no longer standing having been
demolished in 1966 to make way for a road flyover
over the railway lines to the docks and Cleethorpes
 




A used postcard dated 19 Sep 1906
 




A used postcard dated 30 Jul 1909

Looking towards Cleethorpes with a tram at Riby
Square
 




A used postcard franked 27 Jun but year
unreadable, probably circa 1909

Looking towards Riby Square

 




An unused postcard probably taken at the same
time as the one above circa 1909

Looking towards Cleethorpes from Riby Square
 




A used postcard dated 19 Aug 1927

Looking from Riby Square towards Cleethorpes
 




An unused reporoduction postcard with the image
dating from the 1950s.

The trolleybuses were withdrawn in 1960 and a
flyover was opened over the rail crossing in 1968.
 




An unused postcard from around 1910

Showing the corner with Newmarket St (a street
that our family lived in during the 1950s)
 



An unused postcard from around 1910

Another view of Freeman St, a little further back
from the view above, this time showing the Prince
of Wales Theatre on the right.

 




An unused postcard probably from around the mid
1920s
 




An unused postcard probably again from around
the mid 1920s

Looking towards the Dock Tower just visible in the
far distance. The now demolished St Andrew's
Church is on the right.
 




An unused postcard again probably dating from the
1920s but could be earlier.

Looking up to Riby Sguare, "Tylers" on the left was
a boot and shoe shop which was on the corner with
Albert Street.
 




The open market now having been covered over

An unused postcard probably from the 1960s
 




A used postcard dated 31 Aug 1968

Looking towards the Docks
 




An unused postcard probably dating from the mid
1960's

Again looking towards the Docks.
 





An unused postcard probably early 1970s

Again looking towards the Docks
 





An unused postcard probably early 1970s

Looking towards the Docks from Hainton Square
but taken further back than the one above
 




An unused postcard from around 1910

A fine row of houses still standing today with St
James Church in the background


 





An unused postcard maybe around 1905

The church is the Welhome Congregational, still
standing today but no longer used as a church
 




An unused postcard from the mid 1960's.


 




An unused postcard from around 1903

Looking from opposite the Church
 



A used postcard dated 28 May 1905

A nice view of trams, a horse drawn cab and a
private coach?


 




An unused postcard from the 1920s

Very similar view to the 1903 card above
 




An unused postcard from the 1920s

This shows a much busier Market
 




An unused postcard from around 1920

Looking towards St James Church
 




An unused postcard dating from the early 1950s
Similiar view to the 1920s card above but with
market stalls
 





An unused postcard probably from the 1950s
 



The Old Market Place, Grimsby

A used postcard with an indistinct postmark but
believed to be 1959.

This is the same area as the card immediately
above but taken further from down the Street.
 



An unused postcard from the 1960s

Looking somewhat different to the 1920s and
1950s versions with all the character removed
 




Another unused postcard from the 1960s

A slightly later version of the card above
 




A used postcard dated 15 Jan 1917
 




A used postcard with the postmark unreadable but
probably early 1960s

Looking from Cleethorpe Rd
 


A unused postcard probably mid 1960s

A colour version of the one above but taken slightly
later looking from Cleethorpe Rd. All these
buildings with the exception of the one on the right
edge were demolished in the 1960s when a  new
road was built over the railway (new road was
opened in 1968).
 






A used postcard dated 21 Aug 1912
 




A used postcard but unstamped and undated
probably from around 1905

Looking down from the Riverhead
 





An unused postcard again probably from around
1905.

Looking down towards the Riverhead
 




An unused postcard probably from around 1910

Looking down towards the Docks with the Palace
Buffet and Theatre on the left.
 





A used postcard dated 7 Sep 1916

Looking up from the Riverhead (on the right)
 



A used postcard dated 25 Nov 1921

Looking up from the Riverhead
 







A unused postcard probably 1920s

Looking towards the Riverhead
 


An unused postcard probably dating from the
1920s

Looking towards the Riverhead. The large building
on the right is the Savoy Picture House which
opened in 1920 during the silent films era but it
was the first in Grimsby to show a "Talkie". It
closed as a cinema in 1977 when it was the
Gaumont, the building still stands.  
 





A used postcard dated 21 Aug 1928

Again looking towards the Riverhead
 



A used postcard dated 6 Jul 1933.

Looking towards the Riverhead, A very similiar card
to the 1920s scene above but this one shows a few
more shops on the right including the Victoria Cafe.
 



An unused postcard dating from the early 1960s.

Looking down towards the Riverhead with the now
demolished Black Swan (Mucky Duck) public
house on the left. The pub was one of the many
buildings that had to make way for the new
shopping precinct.
 



A used postcard dated 26 Aug 1910

The present scene is so built up with a wide
modern road that it is difficult to imagine it ever
looked like this
 




An unused postcard from around 1905

The top floor of this fine, turreted building was for a
few years home to one of the Tappin brothers
Click on the Links for more of my pages
Docks
Roads, Streets etc
People's Park, Churches, and Schools
Other Buildings, Structures and multi-scene views
Beach and Promenade areas
All other areas and multi-scene views
All areas
Seaside Resorts other than Cleethorpes
Alford, Barton-on-Humber, Belton, Binbrook, Boston, Bradley, Brigg,
Brigsley, Caistor, Candlesby, Crowland, East Stockwith, Gainsborough,
Grantham, Harpswell, Healing, Horncastle, Immingham and Keelby
Laceby, Little Coates, Louth, Markby, Market Rasen, Nettleton, New
Watham, Ravendale, Skirbeck, Sleaford, Somersby, Spalding, Stamford,
Tattershall, Tealby, Tetney Lock, Thornton Curtis and Waltham
 
Page by:

© Kath Fisher Feb 2011


Please lets us know what you think of our site