Tappin Family Website
Family Member's Interests
Kath - Postcards from the Past - Grimsby - Part 3
Holme Hill School, Grimsby 1906
Holme Hill School, Grimsby 1906
Here are my postcards of Grimsby, Lincolnshire covering People's Park, Churches, Schools and Colleges with some comments about the scenes. Some images were in use over many years so dating the scene can be difficult. Click on the link for a larger image.
People's Park, Grimsby

People's Park has recently undergone an extensive refurbishment see -

Stephen's page about People's Park
 




Now sadly long gone

A unused postcard probably early 1900s
 






An unused postcard from the early 1900s
 





A used postcard dated 17 Sep 1903

Showing the Bandstand; the structure on the left
(whatever it was) has long gone
 




Also showing the Park gates from inside the Park, the
Lodge still stands but sadly the gates have also long
gone

An unused postcard from around 1905
 




An unused postcard from around 1905
 


The Memorial to Henry Smethurst, unveiled in 1894.

As well as being the largest Fishing Smack and Trawler
Owner in Grimsby he was an Alderman, a Justice of the
Peace, a Chairman of the School Board and Mayor in
1885 and 1887.

An unused postcard from around 1905
 





A used postcard dated 15 May 1910
 




Another view of the Lake,

A used postcard dated 15 Sep 1913
 





Showing floral beds

A used postcard dated 1913
 




Swans on the Lake

An unused postcard possibly around 1915
 




Again the Lake in the Park

A used postcard dated Aug 1919
 



Yet more of the Lake

A used postcard dated 21 Oct 1921
 



A view of the flower beds

An unused postcard of around 1948
 



Pavilion and Cafe

Now gone but replaced in 2008 with a new building

A used postcard dated 28 Aug 1973
 






A used postcard dated 8 May 1984
 





A used postcard dated 22 Jul 1984
 




A used postcard dated 26 Sep 1985

Grimsby Churches and Chapels
 






An unused postcard, difficult to date but probably early
1900s

This church stood in Freeman St but was demolished in
1961/62 
 




An unused postcard possibly around 1905

The Chapel opened in 1847 and closed in 1953, it has
now gone so was probably demolished soon after it
closed.
 



An unused postcard from around 1910

The church is Saxon in origin of about 1086, the tower
may have been built in the early 12th century and there
has been a fair amount of rebuilding and extensions over
the years. During World War 1 the roof suffered damage
due to a Zeppelin raid.
 




A used postcard dated 21 Jan 1907

 




An unused card of around 1910

The church was granted Minster status in 2010
 


Another view from the same angle as above but this one
shows headstones and also shows how close the
houses were at this time. Both headstones and houses
have now gone!

An unused postcard from around 1910
 




Showing the west door and also showing the west side of
the tower without a clock face probably because it was
painted over when the image was coloured? 

A unused postcard from around 1910.
 


          
A used postcard dated 16 Jul and probably circa 1916

There is a 1980/90s card below showing the interior
taken from a similiar position.

This card is also intersting for the content of the other
side, it refers to the Lincolnshire Yeomanry's Camp in
Weelsby Woods.
 

New Nov 14



A used postcard dated 8 Nov 1949

 




Another fine picture showing the West door

An unused postcard probably from the 1960s
 





An unused postcard, difficult to date but could be
1980/90s but could be earlier.

In 1996 work started to change the interrior look which
included the removal of the pews and replacement of the
floor. 
 






The Bishop King Memorial Church

An unused postcard, very difficult to date but may be the
1950s

All of the Tappin siblings were christened in this church
which was in Heneage Rd
 



Said to be the oldest building in Grimsby with parts of
the Saxon tower dating back to 1050

An unused postcard from around 1910 
 






A used postcard dated 4 Oct 1914

An exterior and an interior view
 




An unused postcard, probably around the 1930s

The Chapet was built in 1868 in the then village of
Scartho which was absorbed into Grimsby in 1928.
 




A used postcard dated 10 Feb 1967

A different view to the one above.
 




An unused postcard very difficult to date but maybe
around 1910
 
 





An unused postcard from around the 1960s - 70s
 



A used postcard dated 21 Jul 1906

The school, with it's distinctive clock tower, was attended
by most of the Tappin siblings in the 1950's. It still looks
much the same today albeit no longer a school
 




An unused postcard probably dating from the 1950s/60s

The site is still in use for various comunity facilities.
 
New Jan 2015



A used postcard dated 1955.
 



A used postcard dated 18 Jul 1905

The building still stands but is in a derelict condition
Click on the Links for more of my pages
Docks
Roads, Streets etc
Grimsby - Part 3 (this page)
People's Park, Churches, and Schools
Other Buildings, Structures and multi-scene views
Beach and Promenade areas
All other areas and multi-scene views
All areas
Seaside Resorts other than Cleethorpes
Alford, Barton-on-Humber, Belton, Binbrook, Boston, Bradley, Brigg, Brigsley, Caistor,
Candlesby, Crowland, East Stockwith, Gainsborough, Grantham, Harpswell, Healing,
Horncastle, Immingham and Keelby
Laceby, Little Coates, Louth, Markby, Market Rasen, Nettleton, New Waltham,
Ravendale, Skirbeck, Sleaford, Somersby, Spalding, Stamford, Tattershall, Tealby,
Tetney Lock, Thornton Curtis and Waltham
 
Page by:

© Kath Fisher Mar 2011


Please lets us know what you think of our site

 
Copyright © David Tappin (unless otherwise stated)