Tappin Family Website Copyright © David Tappin (unless otherwise stated)
Family Member's Interests            Kath - Postcards from the Past - Lincoln
Lincoln Cathedral 1900s
Lincoln Cathedral 1900s
Here are my postcards of the City of Lincoln covering all areas with some comments about the scenes.

Click on the links for a larger image.
 
 


An unused postcard circa 1910.

The Arboretum covers 22 acres of the former Monks
Leys Common and was completed during 1870 - 72.
It was Lincoln's first real public park.
 





An unused postcard circa 1910.
 


A used postcard dated 6 Dec 1904.

The medieval bishops' palace was once among the
most important buildings in the country. It was the
administrative centre of the largest diocese in
medieval England, stretching from the Humber to the
Thames,
 


An unused postcard of around 1910.

The castle was one of a number built by William the
Conquerer during the 11th Century following the
Battle of Hastings. It was built on the site of a former
Roman Fortress and it's prison remained in use until
modern times.
 







A used postcard dated 5 Jan 1931.

The castle is home to a surviving original Magna
Carta.
 




A used postcard dated 14 Jun 1959.

The Assize Court is still in use today.
 

An unused postcard probably around the early 1900s,

A fine view taken from the South West. Most of the
Cathedral dates from the 13th Century but the west
front includes the surviving parts of the original
Romanesque Cathedral dating from 1072. It is
considered to be one of the finest medieval buildings
in Europe. The Cathedral towers above the city and is
a landmark for miles around especially so during
World War II for aircrew returning from operations.
 









An unused postcard probably around the early 1900s.

Feeding the pigeons at the North Door.
 




An unused postcard probably around the early 1900s.

Arcading in the Choir.
 




A used postcard, postmark is unreadable but circa
1939.
 





An unused postcard probably from the early 1900s.

The Cattle Market used to be held at Monks Road.
 

A used postcard but with date unreadable, probably
circa 1904.

The High Bridge, to give it it's proper name, is the
oldest bridge in the country that still has buildings on
it. It was built in the 12th century with the oldest
building dating from the 14th century. Bridges like
this were common in the Middle Ages, the best
known one being London Bridge.
 


An unused postcard of around 1910.

Another view of the 'The Glory Hole' which is the
name given by generations of boaters to the High
Bridge, it has a narrow and crooked arch which limits
the size of boats using the river Witham going from
Brayford Pool eventually to Boston and out to the
sea.
 





A used postcard dated July 1949.
 



An unused postcard of around 1910.

This Grade 1 listed building is now used as a
restuarant and dates back to 1150, it is alongside the
Jews Court which is a 17th Century building and the
site of a medieval synagogue.
 



A used postcard dated 1903, note the style with
writing on the front.

The Abbey was a cell of the Benedictine St. Mary's at
York and had just just a Prior and three monks. It
suffered at the hands of Henry VIII of course along
with all the others.
 




An unused postcard from around 1910.

Includes the Cathedral, High St, Stonebow, Castle
and the Lincoln 'Imp"'
 



A used postcard dated 4 Jul 1929.

Includes the Lincoln Imp, High St and Stonebow, the
Castle, Cathedral and the Priory Gate. 
 



A used postcard dated 1917.

The gate is the remains of a third century Roman
gate on Ermine St, it has suffered in recent years
from traffic damage.
 



A used postcard dated 13 Aug 1904.

The Potter Gate (Pottergate) in Lincoln is one of two
surviving medieval gates to the Cathedral Close of
Lincoln Cathedral.
 






A used postcard, date unreadable probably circa
1983

Through peaceful, flat Lincolnshire ountryside, the
River Witham has been navigated since Roman times
and links Lincoln and Boston. It connects to the
Roman Fossdyke Navigation at Lincoln.
 






A used postcard dated 18 Jul 1907.

Not known as the Steep Hill for nothing, it leads up to
the Cathedral.
 



An unused postcard of around 1910.

The Stonebow is on the site of the southern gateway
to the Roman town of Lindum Colonia (now the City of
Lincoln) and a gateway has stood here for over 1800
years, although the present building was not
completed until 1520.
 
Click on the Links for more of my pages
Docks
Roads, Streets etc
People's Park, Churches, and Schools
Other Buildings, Structures and multi-scene views
Beach and Promenade areas
All other areas and multi-scene views
Lincoln (this page)
All areas
Seaside Resorts other than Cleethorpes
Alford, Barton-on-Humber, Belton, Binbrook, Boston, Bradley, Brigg, Brigsley,
Caistor, Candlesby, Crowland, East Stockwith, Gainsborough, Grantham,
Harpswell, Healing, Horncastle, Immingham and Keelby
Laceby, Little Coates, Louth, Markby, Market Rasen, Nettleton, New Waltham,
Ravendale, Skirbeck, Sleaford, Somersby, Spalding, Stamford, Tattershall, Tealby,
Tetney Lock, Thornton Curtis and Waltham
 
Page by:

© Kath Fisher Mar 2011


Please lets us know what you think of our site