Tappin Family Website Copyright © David Tappin (unless otherwise stated)
Family Member's Interests                  Kath - Postcards from the Past -
                                                                                            Outlying Areas A to K
Crowland, Old Bridge 1920s
Crowland, Old Bridge 1920s
Here are my postcards of areas of Lincolnshire outlying Grimsby, Cleethorpes and Lincoln with some comments about the scenes.

This page includes Alford, Barton-on-Humber, Binbrook, Boston, Brigg, Brigsley, Caistor, Candlesby, Crowland, East Stockwith, Gainsborough, Grantham, Harpswell, Healing, Horncastle, Immingham and Keelby.



Click on the links for a larger image.




A used postcard dated 12 Dec 1905.

Captain John Smith, one of the founders of Jamestown,
Virginia, USA was educated at Alford.
 




A used postcard with unreadable postmark but around
1912.

The Market Charter was granted in 1283.
 



An unused postcard fron around 1980/81.

Shown nearing completion, at the time of building this
was the world's longest single span bridge.
 




An unused postcard probably from the 1980's.

Gives some facts about construction of the bridge.
 


Belton, Lincolnshire, Military Camp.

A used but undated postcard from around 1914.

The Army camp was located in the grounds of Belton
House Park, near Grantham and became one of the
largest training bases in the country.
 



A used postcard but date unreadable probably circa
1915.

The Church was consecrated in 1869 and contains a
fine stained glass window dedicated to the relationship
with the former RAF Binbrook.
 








A used postcard dated 24 Decd 1912.

Building started in 1309 but was not  completed until
1390. The tower was a later addition started 1425/1430
but not completed until 1510/1520.
 








A used postcard, date unreadable but circa 1920s.

A view from the opposite end to the card above.
 

An unused postcard possibly circa 1910.

The Church dates back to the 13th century and like
most has had many alterations over the years. The
tower does have earlier Norman features around the
base.

St George's Church Website:
 





A used postcard postmarked 9 Jun 1947.

This picture does show the slightly elevated position of
the church from the road.
 




An unused postcard from around 1907.

The Hotel was formerly an old Coaching Inn but is now
used by the Town Council.
 




An unused postcard from around 1910

The Parish Church dates from the 11th century and of
course has had various additions.
 



A used postcard dated Oct 1906

The church dates back to Saxon times and an original
Roman wall forms part of the boundary.
 
New May 2016



An unused postcard but marked with a date of 6 Jan
1945.
 




An unused postcard probably dating from the early
1970s.
 






An used postcard dated 16 Feb 1973.
 






An used postcard dated 30 Mar 1974
 





A used postcard dated 21 Sep 1907


 




An unused postcard difficult to date but may be 1940s.

The ruins are the remains of the former Nave of the
monastery, once the largest in Lincolnshire.  
 




An unused postcard,may be 1920s.

This bridge in the town centre spanned two original
water courses dispensing with the need for three
bridges. It was built between 1360 and 1390 by the
Monks of Croyland Abbey.
 





An unused postcard with the image probably from
around 1910 on a much later card.
 

An unused postcard with the image possibly from
around 1910 on a much later card.

The Trent Aegir is named after the god of the seashore
or ocean in Norse mythology and like the Scandinavian
sailors in the myths, river people would fear the coming
of the aegir as it is very unpredicatable and would
sometimes destroy ships. It usually appears during
high spring tides, but as with the Severn Bore, its size
can be affected by floods and rises in water levels.
 







An unused postcard with the image from around 1910
on a much later card.
 






An unused postcasd with the image dated from the
1890s but on a much later card.
 







An unused postcard with the image dated 31 Mar 1932
but on a much later card.
 





An unused postcard with the image from around 1910
on a much later card.
 






A unused postcard but has 28 Mar 1919 pencilled on
the back.
 






An unused postcard but has 28 Mar 1919 pencilled on
the back.

When completed in 1300 the Tower and Spire was the
tallest building in the country at 282 feet in height.

The church also boasted a 16th century chained
libarary.
 



An unused postcard possibly 1960s.

St Chad's has an Anglo-Saxon Tower and the
churchyard contains World War II graves from nearby
RAF Hemswell (the airfield was originally known as
RAF Harpswell).
 





A used postcard dated 1 Jun 1908
 




An unused postcard probably dating from around 1905.

 




A used postcard dated 22 Sep 1955.

Parts of the church date back to the 13th century and
a major restoration was completed in 1861.
 




An unused postcard possibly around 1910.

Construction started in 1906, shown are the Graving
Dock, Entrance Lock and General Offices
 




An unused postcard, difficult to date but may be
around 1910.
 




An unused postcard probably around 1910

A fine line-up of ships
 





A used postcard dated 6 Aug 1909.

The Port has the largest deep-sea docks in the country
and during World War I was a base for early submarine
warfare. Together with it's twin port of Grimsby they
now form the largest port in the UK in tonnage terms.
 




An unused card of around 1910.

This fine Church is part Norman, has a 15th Century
Font and uniquely has the royal coat of arms of James
II (1688).
 




A used postcard but with the date unreadable,
probably around 1915.
 



A used postcard, date not clear but could be 1932.
 





A used postcard dated 5 Feb 1907.
 


A real photographic card.The clarity of the card reveals
when the school was built, having the date 1879 below
the bell tower. Girls and Infants' School is engraved
above the doorway of the building to the right. The two
small boys are immaculately dressed for the
photographer, J.S.Bullen, complete with caps and
celluloid collars.
 





A used postcard dated 1 Sep 1918
 


An unused postcard, the car and driver seem to be the
same as in the card above so dates this as around
1918.
The cottage at the front has been replaced with a
modern shop, the other with housing but the Institute
built in 1897 survives as a well used Village Hall. It is
Grade 2 listed.
 
Click on the Links for more of my pages
Docks
Roads, Streets etc
People's Park, Churches, and Schools
Other Buildings, Structures and multi-scene views
Beach and Promenade areas
All other areas and multi-scene views
All areas
Seaside Resorts other than Cleethorpes
Alford, Barton-on-Humber, Belton, Binbrook, Boston, Bradley, Brigg,
Brigsley, Caistor, Candlesby, Crowland, East Stockwith, Gainsborough,
Grantham, Harpswell, Healing, Horncastle, Immingham and Keelby
Laceby, Little Coates, Louth, Markby, Market Rasen, Nettleton, New
Waltham, Ravendale, Skirbeck, Sleaford, Somersby, Spalding, Stamford,
Tattershall, Tealby, Tetney Lock, Thornton Curtis and Waltham
 

Page by: © Kath Fisher Mar 2011


Please lets us know what you think of our site


Larger image